Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Temporal Needs

In my normal temporal desires, as I gave my farewell talk in church,I might have mentioned a few strange things that I was worried about leaving behind (along with family and friends). I worried a bit about living for 18 months with no sewing machine and no Kitchen-Aid mixer (as well as Lehi Roller Mills flour!). I also knew there would be no way to walk all the time with torrents of rain predicted. Imagine my surprise when here's the reality:
     Upon arriving in our flat, I found in a drawer this little mixer. Not only does it mix batter but amazingly it does very well on bread dough and they have great flour in the store called "high grade" flour. I'm still amazed at how well those tiny dough hooks do.


But still no way to sew or even mend things until today. The Whitianga Social Services bldg. where we have church also has an "Op shop" like a D.I. I asked if they might have a sewing machine that I could borrow for 18 mos. and the manager said they'd just had one turned in and were wondering what to do with it. They'd thought about using it to make "boomerang bags" an Aussie idea to use scrap fabric and make it into grocery bags to save on the use of plastic. I told her I'd be glad to help with the project and they called me today to come pick up this 1970ish machine.


I love it! It even has funny little cams that can make fancy stitches (not that I need to do that). I was already able to mend one of the Elder's pants pockets while they were here over night. and it worked great.
     What a blessing. The two silly needs I mentioned that were really just to get a laugh and I have them along with a free gym membership so I can still walk no matter what the weather. The Lord is certainly in the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment